Sunday, November 15, 2009

How do I build my "academic stamina", or learn to like studying?

What I mean is, I can only read non-fiction text for about 10 minutes at a time. It just doesn't hold my interest. I do remember when I used to enjoy studying, though, when I was in junior high. Any ideas on how I can return to that? Obviously, it's required reading, so I can't just pick things that interest me.

How do I build my "academic stamina", or learn to like studying?
I spent some time at the library when I was in school, mostly in the Reference section. I would scan over my required reading there, then look up a synopsis for each book. I'd read the authoritative reviews, and ask my own questions then seek the answers to them. I graduated in English Literature before personal computers commenced.





If you want to get interested again in studying, stop thinking of it as "studying." Think of it as investigating or exploring. Any subject you intend to learn is only as much fun and as interesting as YOU make it. Be like Sherlock Holmes. It's amazing what you can accomplish this way.





When my eyes glaze over reading non-fiction text, I know it's because the writer couldn't write his way out of a paper bag if he tried. It's boring. Find another writer in the same subject, and see if he/she is any better.


No comments:

Post a Comment