Thursday, May 20, 2010

How long does it take to notice a difference in weight/ shape when going to the gym?

I have been going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week since February. I use cardio vascular and weights. I work out for 40 mins- 1 hour.


I feel I have lots more stamina but weight loss and shape are the same .


I have a low fat/ sugar diet.


I am female aged 51. When can I expect to see results?


I have this week stepped my exercise regime up a level eg; put my levels up to level 4 on cross trainer and bike.

How long does it take to notice a difference in weight/ shape when going to the gym?
It takes a lot of patience to see definite results. I started working out about 7 months ago -- doing 30-60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week plus weight training on 3 of of those days. I began seeing some results in just a matter or a few weeks -- clothes a little looser, and more stamina, like you. But it took me a good 3 months to see changes everywhere. Now, at 7 months into this, I have gone down a full size and people are starting to notice %26amp; comment a lot. I have not altered my eating habits (always generally healthy but an occasional treat.) I think I have probably put on about 7 pounds of muscle, but overall my weight has gone down about 3 pounds or so. I have given up using the scale to measure my progress. My advice is to do as much cardio as you can. Be safe and listen to your body but push yourself. Stay with the weights because building muscle will really speed up your metabolism, and you will look more trim and sculpted. Best to you.
Reply:Good for you on all the hard work. It usually takes about 8 weeks to see a noticeable difference, but it will not necessarily be in weight loss. You are probably losing fat and gaining muscle (muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space). How are your clothes fitting? Take pictures of yourself at 8 week intervals to measure your progress. It is a lot less daunting and frustrating than weighing yourself every day/week. I say just keep up the good work and the results will happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment