Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What type of excercises can increase my performance in the water?

I'm just thinking about taking my swimming to another, more faster level. What excercises can I do (on land) that will increase my stamina and/or speed in the water?

What type of excercises can increase my performance in the water?
I may be a bit outdated but if you check with Doc Councilman's book, you may find a host of exercises with weights, stretching exercises and so forth. Give the library a lookover or ask your coach. Really. I've been away from the sport for so many years (about 30+) but I seem to remember that "Doc" (a physiologist by training and education) really had a niche in the field.





Land exercises depend on the event you're in. Different events use different muscles for different stoke techniques (Freestyle, Backstroke, Breastroke or Butterfly?)





Sprinting rep exercises WILL help, so that your body will be working anaerobically (oxygen deprived) for a few minutes until you develop resistance to the pain (no pain, no gain... remember?). Your muscles will re-oxygenate faster as you work out during the course of the season and you'll see the improvement but, again, it's best that you consult your coach to prevent and avoid injuries to muscles. Good luck.
Reply:chest and abs exercise..


No comments:

Post a Comment